This position requires knowledge of basic clerical functions, computer skills, data and document processing, research and customer service principles. Incumbents are responsible for screening incoming calls, greeting clients, distributing Resource Center resources to clients, filing, faxing, copying, and performing basic data entry.
This is a UNPAID internship however it would qualify for the WIRCCS Scholarship (http://www.estrellamountain.edu/students/internships/west-valley-wirrcs-scholarship). Applicants must be continuing EMCC students and have a minimum of 2.5 G.P.A or a recommendation from your SWSC instructor. If you would like assistance in preparing the required materials; cover letter, application and resume or in preparing for an interview, please contact the Career Center at 623.935.8740.
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
- Greets and basic triage of clients for various partners.
- Performs various routine clerical duties, utilizing standard office equipment, to include: screening incoming calls; taking and transmitting messages; maintaining calendars; keyboarding information into databases; making photocopies; performing data entry; faxing documents; typing; and word processing
- Files documents alphabetically, numerically, or by other prescribed methods (hard copy and digital)
- Assists in the creation of brochures, publications, and basic documents
- Update and restock community resources
- Familiar with research and online search engines
- Maintain contact information with community partners
- Special project research regarding community needs assessments and available resources
- Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Customer service principles
- Principles of Human Services
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment
- Basic filing and recordkeeping principles
- Effective business correspondence; i.e., proper spoken, written communication
- Using computers and competency with Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- Using modern office equipment
- Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
- Engage in creative problem solving
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, outside agencies and the general public
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously with interruptions
- Recognize problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and make appropriate recommendations
- Process a variety of forms and paperwork
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Currently enrolled at EMCC
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Experience in clerical or administrative work is preferred.
- Human and Social Service experience highly desirable.
- Desire to work in the social services field dealing with high risk population.