Role: HR Intern Department: Human Resources
Pay Status: Paid ($12-$13) Application Deadline: July 5, 2018
Mentor: HR Director Time Span: Aug 2018 - Nov 2018
Hours: Flexible approx. 19 hrs/week
REQUIRED: Schedule a FREE Resume/Cover Letter Appointment at the EMCC Career & Transfer Center by calling 623-935-8740. After your appointment, you can apply to this internship via the "APPLY NOW" button at the top right corner. Due to the fast, upcoming deadline studenst will only have one chance to submit a complete application. If any applications are INCOMPLETE, those applications will not be sent to the employer for review & interview selection. So we highly encourage you to schedule resume/cover letter appointment as soon as possible. Act fast, spots do fill up quickly.
Year after year, the Arizona Exposition and State Fair (AESF) produces the state’s largest community event, attracting over 1 million guests, being the largest venue in the state to showcase not just rides, fun and food, but provide Arizonans the biggest stage to present home grown culture, agriculture, and art.
The Arizona Exposition and State Fair has an immediate opening for a Recruiting/HR Intern to work alongside the HR Director in the preparation, administration, and coordination of upcoming job fair and orientation activities, as well as co- facilitate both events. This is an amazing opportunity for a motivated self-starter to gain hands-on experience in recruitment and HR-related projects in a fast-paced, professional environment.
The Intern will become even more marketable as they search for permanent employment because of their additional experience in staffing a large quantity of employees (85% of organization workforce) at one single event. Intern will learn the HR compliance (required new hire paperwork; background check process; and management of confidential information). Intern will assist in every aspect of the pre-job fair and orientation planning process, to ensure every aspect of the event runs smooth from start to finish. This will ensure a positive real world experience for both the intern and prospective applicants in the success of staffing the 2018 State Fair. By the end of internship, intern will gain meaningful, real-world experience and competency in planning, implementation, and execution of job fair and orientation events, from start to finish.
The Intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable soft skills by working and engaging with senior leaders, HR personnel, and external partners of job fair host, as they learn to see the value in human capital. Interns are expected to work a minimum of 19 hours per week.
In this role, interns will be expected to:
- Assist in preparing, coordinating, and facilitating on-site logistical aspects of job fair event
- Develop job fair and orientation flow process, from start to finish
- Implement and prepare precise process, steps, timelines, and hiring event activities
- Collaboratively work with all departments to present recommendations and options to affect physical environment of the job fair
- Attend and facilitate meetings with HR Director upper management including the Agency Director and Deputy Director
Interns will bring the following skills and abilities to the internship:
- Superior planning, time/project management, and organizational skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Deadline driven, hard-working
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to successfully collaborate with multiple personalities and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Ability to use discretion, judgment, tact and poise regarding confidential and sensitive information privy to the HR department
- Proficiency in Google Suites and creating spreadsheets
- At least 6 months - 1 year of previous internship or project management experience in special event planning/coordination preferred
- Current EMCC Student
- Have a min. of a 2.5 GPA
- Able to work a min. of 19 hours per week
- Hard-working, dedicated college junior, senior, or recent graduate (no more than 6 months upon graduation) who is looking to gain valuable work experience in the field of Human Resources, Business, Business Administration, Organizational Development, or Project Management
- Self-starter with the ability to show initiative, multi-task, prioritize, and meet hard deadlines
- Creative and innovative, willing work as a team to inject a positive attitude into the office environment
- Attend and communication in weekly on-site meetings