Estrella Mountain Community College (EMCC) is hiring a Communication Writer (part-time) to work under a Learning College philosophy (http://www.estrellamountain.edu/learning-college) where learning happens anytime, anyway, any place. The Marketing and Communications department is looking for a storyteller to join our team. This position will be responsible for writing for media communications (i.e., media releases, advisories, statements, and OpEds), as well as journalistic writing for informational articles, Campus Updates, our website, and print materials. This position may also assist in developing engaging content that can be used in email marketing or advertising campaigns and inspire interest in our for EMCC programs and activities. The person selected for this role will have a unique opportunity to contribute to a department that is being re-envisioned and make their mark.
Applicants should have a working knowledge of AP Style and be able to adhere to EMCC and District branding guidelines. This writer will conduct research to develop ideas for fresh content, proofread for errors, suggest additions, and fact-check to ensure content accuracy. Some projects will require the Communications Writer to review and provide detailed feedback on the work of others.
The Communications Writer will respond to and manage writing project requests from our internal clients (faculty and staff) ensuring the highest quality customer service at all times. The person in the position should be comfortable "chasing leads," interviewing, and helping those who are not accustomed to doing so to tell their stories.
An essential characteristic for success in this role is a person who takes great pride in their work as evidenced by completed drafts that have been thoroughly proofed, edited, and are virtually error-free.
65% - Writing
10% - Media Coordination
10% - Marketing and Communications operational tasks
10% - Managing writing project requests from our internal clients (faculty and staff)
5% - Editing content developed by others
- Currently has or is pursuing a degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing
- Two (2) years of consistent business writing experience
- Writing experience for various means of communications such as web, social, traditional media, email, blog
- Strong initiative and willingness to offer up your best effort while having the courage to learn new skills and abilities
- Knowledge of how to write according to brand – has an authoritative, intelligent, but accessible and friendly writing voice
- A keen eye for proper use of spelling, grammar, voice
- Ability to break down complex topics into simple terms
- Excellent communication ability with a willingness to be held accountable for time-sensitive goals
- Experience with writing for publications or for businesses in a professional manner
- Currently pursuing a degree or recently graduated in English, Journalism, or a related field
Applications must include at least two writing samples preferably professional or creative writing. As a part of the application process, the candidate may be required to complete a writing assignment to further analyze writing skills.