SOUNDS (Students Opening Up New Doors with Strings) Academy is the result of a vision of its founder, Kirk Johnson. As a performing musician, youth orchestra director, and classroom music teacher; Kirk believes that all children deserve access to music education. Getting a good music education shouldn’t depend on where you grow up.
Beginning with just a dream, SOUNDS Academy was able to make a few friends to help start the journey. Through a generous donation of space from Robert Buchanan, SOUNDS Academy found a home and was able to have classes and teach lessons at Buchanan Music.
Today SOUNDS Academy gives instruments and weekly instruction to 150 students through its Community and Strings Programs. They have served over 8,000 students through the Musical Access Program. They do this through outreach programs that focus on teaching the values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork through music education.
Our mission is to teach, mentor, and provide musical experiences and opportunities to underserved youth. Our vision is to provide music education opportunities to a wide variety of children while removing any barriers that children may have in receiving quality music education.
SOUNDS Academy prides itself in collaborating with multiple organizations to serve schools and students through its programs.
The Administrative Intern is responsible for assisting the director in providing professional leadership to organize, administer, and provide support for SOUNDS Academy.
This is a UNPAID internship.. The company has asked that the intern work for approximately 10 hrs. per week and will be flexible with your EMCC schedule.This opportunity is only available to Estrella Mountain Community College students. Applicants are REQUIRED to submit and online application, a resume, and a cover letter. Free resume/cover letter/mock interview assistance is available by appointment only at the EMCC Career & Transfer Center. To schedule your appointment please visit or call 623-935-8740 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Work the director to carry out the SOUNDS Academy mission in order to continuously improve student achievements
- Communicate with empathy and understanding in effectively responding to the individual needs of students and families
- Communicate effectively and constructively with teachers, principals, and other key members of SOUNDS Academy programs
- React to change and interruptions in a productive and positive manner, meeting deadlines as assigned.
- Model the SOUNDS Academy character values while implementing the vision and mission of the organization.
- Work independently and without supervision while completing work in an efficient and timely manner.
- Current EMCC Student
- Must have a min. of a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Must have reliable transportation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word/Excel/Powerpoint)
- Utilization of proper telephone etiquette
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong editing skills
- Comprehension of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other social media tools
- Ability to communicate with others in a pleasant and courteous manner
- An ability to follow directions and meticulous attention to detail
- An ability to multi-task, work on multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- An ability to be persistent, innovative, and self-reliant
- Willingness to take initiative, learn, and independently complete projects
- A desire for growth and development
- An ability to be flexible and independently problem solve
- Passion and Joy for what you do in order to improve the lives of others
- Fluency in Spanish helpful but not required