SOUNDS (Students Opening Up New Doors with Strings) Academy is the result of a vision of its founder, Kirk Johnson. As a performing musician, youth orchestra director, and classroom music teacher; Kirk believes that all children deserve access to music education. Getting a good music education shouldn’t depend on where you grow up.
Beginning with just a dream, SOUNDS Academy was able to make a few friends to help start the journey. Through a generous donation of space from Robert Buchanan, SOUNDS Academy found a home and was able to have classes and teach lessons at Buchanan Music.
Today SOUNDS Academy gives instruments and weekly instruction to 150 students through its Community and Strings Programs. They have served over 8,000 students through the Musical Access Program. They do this through outreach programs that focus on teaching the values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork through music education.
Our mission is to teach, mentor, and provide musical experiences and opportunities to underserved youth. Our vision is to provide music education opportunities to a wide variety of children while removing any barriers that children may have in receiving quality music education.
SOUNDS Academy prides itself in collaborating with multiple organizations to serve schools and students through its programs.
The Social Media/Marketing Intern is responsible for increasing the social awareness of SOUNDS and driving Internet traffic of the program.
This is a UNPAID internship.. The company has asked that the intern work for approximately 10 hrs. per week and will be flexible with your EMCC schedule.This opportunity is only available to Estrella Mountain Community College students. Applicants are REQUIRED to submit and online application, a resume, and a cover letter. Free resume/cover letter/mock interview assistance is available by appointment only at the EMCC Career & Transfer Center. To schedule your appointment please visit or call 623-935-8740 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Utilize social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to inform the public of classes, events, news updates, etc. of SOUNDS Academy in order to increase awareness of the program and Internet traffic
- Utilize social media to develop, strengthen, and maintain partnerships with program participants, supporters, organizations, etc.
- Use blogging, SEO, social networking, backlink building, etc. to raise the web presence and placement of SOUNDS Academy
- Create and maintain a social media calendar to include potential posts, video interviews, blogs, student spotlights, newsletters, etc.
- Uploading and posting appropriate blogs, videos, pictures, status updates, etc.
- Tracking and reporting the growth of SOUNDS Academy on various social media vehicles and the Internet
- Current EMCC Student
- Must have a min. of a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Must have reliable transportation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong editing skills
- Comprehension of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other social media tools
- Understanding of the Internet and best practices in social media marketing
- Knowledge of digital media, video recording, and video editing software
- An ability to multi-task, work on multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- An ability to be persistent, innovative, and self-reliant
- Willingness to take initiative, learn, and independently complete projects
- A desire for growth and development
- An ability to be flexible and independently problem solve
- Passion and Joy for what you do in order to improve the lives of others