SOUNDS (Students Opening Up New Doors with Strings) Academy is the result of a vision of its founder, Kirk Johnson. As a performing musician, youth orchestra director, and classroom music teacher; Kirk believes that all children deserve access to music education. Getting a good music education shouldn’t depend on where you grow up.
Beginning with just a dream, SOUNDS Academy was able to make a few friends to help start the journey. Through a generous donation of space from Robert Buchanan, SOUNDS Academy found a home and was able to have classes and teach lessons at Buchanan Music.
Today SOUNDS Academy gives instruments and weekly instruction to 150 students through its Community and Strings Programs. They have served over 8,000 students through the Musical Access Program. They do this through outreach programs that focus on teaching the values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork through music education.
Our mission is to teach, mentor, and provide musical experiences and opportunities to underserved youth. Our vision is to provide music education opportunities to a wide variety of children while removing any barriers that children may have in receiving quality music education.
SOUNDS Academy prides itself in collaborating with multiple organizations to serve schools and students through its programs.
The Fundraising Intern is responsible for increasing the charity efforts and monetary donations of SOUNDS Academy as well as tracking the progress of the donations.
This is a UNPAID internship.. The company has asked that the intern work for approximately 10 hrs. per week and will be flexible with your EMCC schedule.This opportunity is only available to Estrella Mountain Community College students. Applicants are REQUIRED to submit and online application, a resume, and a cover letter. Free resume/cover letter/mock interview assistance is available by appointment only at the EMCC Career & Transfer Center. To schedule your appointment please visit or call 623-935-8740 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Data entry of all donations
- Organization and Implementation of Charity Events
- Create and distribute gift acknowledgements
- Follow up with donors (via letters, e-mails, phone, etc.)
- Research and apply for potential grants
- Research and recruit new potential donors
- Maintain communication with past donors and supporters
- Develop rapport with current and future donors and supporters
- Assistance in soliciting donations for raffles, silent auctions, etc.
- Current EMCC Student
- Must have a min. of a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Must have reliable transportation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong editing skills
- Excellent comprehension of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Understanding of fundraising and the best practices for raising donations
- Understand of charity events and the best practices for organizing charity events
- An ability to multi-task, work on multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- An ability to be persistent, innovative, and self-reliant
- Willingness to take initiative, learn, and independently complete projects
- A desire for growth and development
- An ability to be flexible and independently problem solve
- Tracking and reporting the fundraising growth of SOUNDS Academy
- Passion and Joy for what you do in order to improve the lives of others