Working under a learning college philosophy (http://www.estrellamountain.edu/learning-college) and placing learning first anyway, anyplace, anytime. The person in this position will provide a variety of support services to the EMCC Animal Ambassadors Community Outreach Program and Sustainability Initiatives. Federal Student Worker will assist with everyday animal care and maintenance, managing community teaching garden, and conducting both on- and off- campus outreach. Other duties may be assigned as needed to support the vision of the college and science department.
50% Providing exceptional care for our Life Sciences Division live animal models including reptiles (numerous snakes, lizards, turtles and tortoises), arthropods (tarantula and hissing cockroaches), and small mammals (feeder mice, rats and dwarf hamsters).
25% Maintaining EMCC's Community Teaching Garden including: organizing planting days, regularly collecting compost, frequently weeding raised beds, harvesting and measuring produce output.
25% Provides animal outreach to laboratory guests during open-lab hours; assists with off-campus outreach using live animals at local schools; manages volunteers.
- Student must be Federal Work Study eligible.
- Student applicants must have successfully completed, or be enrolled in, either BIO 100, BIO 160 OR BIO 181
- Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits for Fall 2021
- Evidence of ability to take direction and having a willingness to learn (cover letter)
- Experience caring for and handling reptiles, arthropods and/or small mammals.
- Experience maintaing home gardens and/or compost bins
- Students looking to graduate with an associates in science
- Evidence working as a productive member on a team
1. Working with live animals, including animals capable of causing injury.
2. Working outside in inclement weather conditions.
3. May have to lift up to 25 lbs.
Please place your Student ID number next to your name in the documents you are submitting.