International Rescue Committee
International Rescue Committee, based in Phoenix, is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency. This is a UNPAID internship. The company has asked that the intern work 10-25 hours per week for a minimum 3 month commitment. This position is a good opportunity for those who would like to gain database skills (ie: Microsoft Access, Excel, Citrix, SUN Systems) and an understanding of the behind the scenes operations of a non-profit. This position provides a unique opportunity for an intern to work both behind the scenes and directly with refugees. This individual must be detail-orientated and self motivated, but also have a desire to work directly with refugees in various on and offsite settings.Applicants must be continuing EMCC students and have a minimum of 2.5 G.P.A or a recommendation from your SWSC instructor. If you would like assistance in preparing the required materials; cover letter, application and resume or in preparing for an interview, please contact the Career Center at 623.935.8740.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Logistics Coordinator to reconcile case file documentation with SUN System and Direct Assistance Log for both Resettlement and Matching Grant Programs;
- Create Resettlement Forms and Vouchers for New Arrivals;
- Gather and send I-94s to HQ each month;
- Research new Vendors for Furniture and Household Supplies;
- Explore areas of High Employment for new housing options;
- Create/update resource binder for low income/elderly/disabled housing issues;
- Work with Case Work Supervisor/Logistics Coordinator to maintain VOLAG wide Housing Task Force;
- Assist Housing Coordinator in setting up apartments for newly arrived refugees;
- Assist Housing Coordinators and clients at several apartment complexes with lease signings;
- Work with at-risk clients to fill out rental assistance and subsidized housing applications
- Accompany Logistics Coordinator and Case Management Supervisor to Phoenix City Council Meetings, and possible trainings with the Prosecutor’s Office and Neighborhood Services.