Chicanos Por La Causa
Application Due Date:
Monday, November 13, 2017
Federal Work-Study Eligible Site:
Qualify for WIRCCS Scholarship:
What is Chicanos Por La Causa? More than forty two years have passed since the day when a group of community and student activists of Mexican descent created Chicanos Por La Causa – CPLC – to address the problems of the barrios of South Central Phoenix, Arizona. Although its initial focus was on creating employment opportunities and combating community deterioration, CPLC became increasingly aware that these problems were much deeper rooted. As a result, CPLC expanded its services to provide assistance to disadvantaged individuals regardless of ethnic origin. The Current focus of CPLC is economic development, education, community development (housing) and social services. Internship Description Chicanos Por La Causa, www.cplc.org, based in Phoenix, will offer an internship opportunity to interested students in an array of different areas. As an intern with Chicanos Por La Causa you will be helping and assisting case managers and counselors in different activities and constantly learning. Internships are available in the following areas. Please specify the area(s) of interest in your cover letter.
- - AIDS and HIV program- services for individuals and their families.
- - Centro de la Familia- family services on mental health.
- - Social Services Program- services for families in legal and medical issues and providing referrals and resources.
- - Carl Hayden Community Center- services for children of 7 to 17 years of age and help with homework, computers, educational and recreational activities.
- - Shelter of domestic violence for women and children- case management, legal, social and medical services.
- - Housing- Counseling on housing.
- This is a UNPAID internship and the company has asked that the intern work for a minimum 6 months to 1 year, 8 hours per week. Applicants must be continuing EMCC students and have a minimum of 2.5 G.P.A or a recommendation from your SWSC instructor. If you would like assistance in preparing the required materials; cover letter, application and resume or in preparing for an interview, please contact the Career Center at 623.935.8740.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Helping and assisting case managers, counselors in different activities
- Answering phone and providing referrals
- Participating in special activities for families and children etc.
- Open to learn
- Follow the organization policies. Intern is required to obtain fingerprints and we process the Universal Background Screening