International Rescue Committee, based in Phoenix, is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency. This is a UNPAID internship. The company has asked that the intern work 10-25 hours per week for a minimum 3 month commitment. The Resettlement Shop Coordinator Intern will assist the In-Kind Coordinator with the operations of the IRC Resettlement Shop including coordinating client shopping and managing volunteers. This position requires daily interaction with refugees and therefore needs an individual who can communicate with non-English speakers and who is culturally-sensitive. Applicants must be continuing EMCC students and have a minimum of 2.5 G.P.A or a recommendation from your SWSC instructor. If you would like assistance in preparing the required materials; cover letter, application and resume or in preparing for an interview, please contact the Career Center at 623.935.8740.
Under the supervision of the In-Kind Outreach Coordinator, the intern will be assist with the following:
- Work with program volunteers to meet the needs of the clients;
- Manage volunteers at the Shop;
- Oversee and assist in the restock and organization of the Shop;
- Track donations given to clients via donation forms;
- Process donations dropped off by donors;
- Complete paperwork and administrative tasks related to the Shop;
- Assist with inventory requirements;
- Keep the In-Kind Outreach Coordinator apprised daily of needed items and operations of the Shop.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Time management skills;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Detail-oriented and organized;
- Access to a reliable vehicle;
- Ability to carry up to 35 lbs;
- Cultural-sensitivity, strong desire to help people, and enthusiasm to work in a multi-cultural setting.