*This particular opportunity is a partnership between AAWL and Estrella Mountain Community College and is only available to current EMCC students. If you are not a student at EMCC but would like assistance in searching for other internships and/or jobs. Please contact us at 623-935-8740 as we have other resources open to the public.
Interns are responsible for the day-to-day care of the Education Department’s more than 50 exotic animal ambassadors. These animals include ferrets, rabbits, snakes, bearded dragons, Madagascar hissing cockroaches, and many more. The exotics work with youth and adults in our education programs to build awareness of contemporary wildlife and domestic animal issues. Most come from rescue situations (i.e. hoarding, neglect, abuse, owner surrender, etc.) and stay with us for life, receiving optimum care and attention. This is a UNPAID internship but may qualify for college credit. The company has asked that the intern work for approximately 10 hrs. per week for 4months and will be flexible with your EMCC schedule. Applicants must be continuing EMCC students and have a minimum of 2.5 G.P.A or a recommendation from your SWSC instructor. If you would like assistance in preparing the required materials; cover letter, application and resume or in preparing for an interview, please contact the Career Center at 623.935.8740.
- Provides husbandry (i.e. cleaning, feeding, grooming, enrichment, socialization, etc.) for all education animals: reptiles, small mammals, and invertebrates.
- Seeks out and sustains knowledge of education animal natural history, husbandry, and signs of common illnesses.
- Maintains daily reports.
- Follows procedures, such as feeding and cleaning schedules, as instructed by supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Valid Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Great attention to detail.
- Capability to work with animals of varied species including mammals, reptiles, and invertebrates.
- Participate in a minimum of 10 hours each week for 4 months.
- Morning availability is a must.
- Biology or related field preferred.
- Evaluated on punctuality, professionalism, performance, and ethical standards.