The purpose of an internship with Southwest Human Development is to provide well-rounded, professional experience in the non-profit industry. The Special Events Internship includes many areas of the organization, specifically event management. Including planning, organizing, data entry, customer service and recruitment.
The Special Events Intern will work directly with the Special Events Coordinator and assist with the planning and coordination of several events including a family fun walk and 5K run, golf tournament, picnic and other various events.The company has asked that the intern work for 20 hours per week . Hours are flexible, depending on the student’s schedule. This opportunity is only available to Estrella Mountain Community College students. Applicants are REQUIRED to submit and online application, a resume, and a cover letter. Free resume/cover letter/mock interview assistance is available by appointment only at the EMCC Career & Transfer Center. To schedule your appointment please visit or call 623-935-8740 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position’s primary responsibilities include:
• Manage vendor needs and requirements; Create and provide vendors with information packets
• Develop operational and task oriented timelines to meet deadlines
• Request donation items from businesses in the community
• Assist with coordinating third party fundraisers
• Assist with volunteer recruitment and scheduling
• Recruit teams and individuals for the family fun walk and 5K run
• Research and data entry
• Develop and send correspondence to staff, volunteers, sponsors, donors and individuals
Experience using Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) for data entry, spreadsheets, presentations and emailing is preferred. Microsoft Word and Excel experience is required. A successful applicant must be able to communicate and work well with individuals, teams, donors and sponsors. Due to the nature of the event industry, the ability to meet deadlines and remain organized is necessary.
As a member of the Development team, this position:
• Supports the agency and department’s mission of strengthening the foundation Arizona’s children need for a great start in life
• Uses effective time management skills and good judgement to prioritize daily tasks and meet deadlines
• Communicates in a positive, respectful and courteous manner to staff, donors, sponsors, individuals and volunteers
• Builds strong relationships with colleagues and individuals in the community to contribute to the achievement of the development team goals
• Composes written communication, including letters, memos, agendas, minutes, forms, presentations, and other documents with accuracy and sensitivity