Estrella Mountain Community College (EMCC) is hiring a Peer Mentor to work under the learning college philosophy (http://www.estrellamountain.edu/learning-college) where learning happens anytime, anyway, any place. The EMCC Peer Mentor Program [PMP] https://www.estrellamountain.edu/students/peer-mentoring is a structured student-to-student peer mentoring program that was inspired by students.
Assists new and returning students become successful college students by assisting them in developing strong skills for life and college success. Maricopa Community College (MCC) peer mentors serve as resources and role models who assist and support new and often underprepared students in their transition to college.
The PMP has 3 goals: Support, Retention, and Persistence; assists their mentees by: a) connecting them with student learning support resources; b) providing them with encouragment and tools for academic success; c) following-up with students when they are struggling accedemically; d) helping to create a sense of community both in and out of the classroom through their active student engagement and facilitation of group activities and discussions; mentors get to apply their knowledge and experience about EMCC for the purposes of assisting, guiding and supporting their assigned students.
- Serves as credible resources for mentees regarding general college information and support services
- Directs students to the appropriate services, staff and processes in proactive, rather than reactive ways
- Helps students brainstorm strategies
- Shares personal experiences related to college success
- Provides motivation and coping strategies to students
- Collaborates with program coordinator and faculty mentor supervisor.
- Follows up and check-in with mentees; conducts Face-to-face meetings with assigned students at least three times over the semester (1x per month).
- Meets with assigned Faculty Mentor Supervisor for 30-minute Mentor Supervision sessions weekly which will taper off to once every two weeks at the Faculty Mentor’s discretion.
- Facilitates 1-2 Student Success Workshops and small classroom presentations.
- Currently enrolled EMCC student [successful completion of 12 credits at EMCC].
- Demonstrated academic success by maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Be available to work 8-10 hours per week
- Ability to attend and participate in weekly Team Meetings every Monday from 12:30PM- 2:00PM during the semester
- Ability to attend Peer Mentor Intensive Training January 8th- 11th from 9AM-4PM.
- Ability to attached Peer Mentor Retreat January 22nd, 11:00AM- 2PM.
- Ability to identify 4 hours (days and times must be consistent throughout the semester) of availability for office hours per week.
- Strong written, communication and listening skills
- Interest in listening and helping others
- Self motivated
- Ability to prioritize tasks and is organized
- Demonstrates leadership qualities
- Strive for excellence
Please make sure to upload your cover letter and resume. If you would like assistance in preparing the required materials; cover letter, application and resume or in preparing for an interview, please contact the Career Center at 623.935.8740.
The Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) is an EEO/AA institution and an equal opportunity employer of protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.