This position works with the professional staff of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Phoenix (BGCMP) during after-school hours, and focuses on a specific assignment or project that advances the organization's mission "to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.: The goal is to support BGCMP professionals in meeting organizational goals and objectives through the completion of a specific, mutually agreed upon assignment or project that generally includes direct service and program delivery to club members (ages 6 - 12). The internship takes place at a BGCMP west valley location in Peoria, Tolleson or Avondale during after school hours (M - F 3 pm - 8 pm).
*This internship has schedule flexibility as need by the student to meet the school's intern requirements. Hours can vary from a min of 10 to a max. of 40 per week. Afternoon hours Mon - Fri with no weekend hours.
High school students 16-18 may request a modified internship placement by contacting Donna Martin in Volunteer Services, [email protected].
Interns will: promote positive participation, good sportsmanship, and the element of fun by delivering daily activities and programs to club members (grades K - 6) under the supervision and direction of professional club staff. Program areas include: Games room, Computer Lab, Education Center/Learning Lab, Art Room and Gym. Activities support BGCMP's Priority Outcomes: (1) Academic Success, (2) Be Great, Do Good (character & leadership development), and Healthy Lifestyles.
This opportunity is only available to Estrella Mountain Community College students. Applicants are REQUIRED to submit and online application, a resume, and a cover letter. Free resume/cover letter/mock interview assistance is available by appointment only at the EMCC Career & Transfer Center. To schedule your appointment please visit or call 623-935-8740 or email [email protected].
- Assist BGCMP professional staff with games, activities and special events as directed.
- Assist in general supervision of youth.
- Interact with youth.
- Encourage youth participation in activities
- Comply with all safety standards and policies as dictated by BGCMP.
- Comply with all discipline practices of BGCMP and report all incident of inappropriate behavior to supervisor.
- Report any incident of suspected child abuse to supervisor.
- Maintain confidential regarding members and personal information as dictated by BGCMP.
- Maintain supplies and equipment.
- Maintain accurate records of volunteer time.
- Maintain accurate records of activities as directed.
- Must be currently enrolled in a MCCCD college
- Must have and maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Must be able to work a minimum of 10 hours
- 18 years or older
- Must be able to pass a background check in order to be accepted into this internship
- Pass the BGCMP background check
- Desire to help children
- Ability to relate to children in a positive, patient, sensitive, non-judgmental manner
- Experience working with children
- Ability to honor club schedule and to arrive on time
- Ability to work in a fast paced, changing enviornment
- Ability to take direction well
- Knowledge of youth development theory desired