DEADLINE: MARCH 16th
Duration: June 4th-August 3rd
MIN 20 hours per week
Looking for a "hands-on" internship? Support the exhibitions and museum preparatory team with
handling, transport, and rehousing of collections.
What we're looking for:
- Upper-division undergraduate and graduate students, and recent grads
- Studio art, art history, arts management, museum studies majors
What you’ll be doing:
- Work with preparators to move and rehouse various artworks, including handling, packing, and movement of art objects
- Experience the day-to-day operations of the Prep department, including, but not limited to: cleaning, installation and crate movement, caseware and pedestal movement, painting walls, and cleaning and organization of shop
- Work with preparators to condition galleries for opening and closing of exhibitions
What you’ll need:
• The ability to lift up to 50 pounds preferred, but not required
• The ability to stand and/or move for long periods of time
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Applicants should carefully review individual internship descriptions to make sure that they meet all criteria before applying.
- The internship program at Phoenix Art Museum provides current undergraduates, graduate students, and recent graduates (within one year from graduation date) with opportunities to work on projects directed by Museum staff.
- Interns are introduced to the broad spectrum of museum work and to Museum staff, departments, programs and operations.
- Internships are offered in three sessions per year: Spring, Summer and Fall. Summer interns generally work 20 hours per week; schedules may vary slightly to accommodate departmental needs. The summer internship session begins in early June and lasts for nine weeks, for a total of at least 160 work hours. Fall/Spring semester schedules vary according to the internship position and to accommodate class schedules, but total at least 125 work hours.
- Interns can only participate in one session with the possibility of applying for an extension into a second session (i.e. internships can last a maximum of 2 sessions).
- Unless otherwise noted ALL internships at Phoenix Art Museum are performed on a volunteer basis. Museum staff members aid in the intern’s pursuit of academic credit, if applicable.
- All interns receive a one-year membership at Phoenix Art Museum.